What is a witness?
A witness is an additional person who is not a party to the transaction and is present to witness the signing of the specific document.
How does it work?
- Signers will need to provide their own witness(es). Notarize does not provide witnesses.
- The signer and the witness(es) must be in the same physical location.
- It is the responsibility of the signer to ensure that the witnesses meet any state or document-specific requirements. This may include how many witness are needed, whether or not they can be related to you, or whether or not they can or can't be benefitted by the document.
*Please note that we are not able to provide any legal advice, including about witness requirements.
- Witnesses should be prepared to answer a few questions from the notary directly (translators cannot be used to communicate between signers/witnesses and the notary).
- After reviewing the above, proceed to Notarize.com and then click "sign in" if you already have an account or "Try It" if you don't yet have a Notarize account.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to guide you through the process. Please note that you should enter the signer's information (not the witness's information) when setting up your account and verifying your identity.
- The notary will be able to guide witnesses through signing their portion of the document during the live video notary meeting.