What is a witness?
A witness is an additional person who is not a party to the transaction and is present to witness the signing of the specific document.
How does it work?
- You will need to provide your own witness(es). Notarize does not provide witnesses.
- The signer and the witness(es) must be in the same physical location.
- It is the responsibility of the signer to ensure that the witnesses meet any state or document-specific requirements. This may include how many witness are needed, whether or not they can be related to you, or whether or not they can or can't be benefitted by the document. *Please note that we are not able to provide any legal advice, including about witness requirements.
- Witnesses should be prepared to show a valid photo ID. A list of acceptable forms of ID are provided at the bottom of this document.
- Once you are prepared based on the requirements noted above, you may proceed to Notarize.com and then click "sign in" if you already have an account or "sign up" if you don't yet have a notarize account.
- You may follow the on-screen prompts to guide you through the process. Please note that you will be entering the signer's information, not the witness's information when completing the sign-up process.
- During the session with the notary, witnesses may be added to your transaction.