A Sequential Electronic Notarization or "split signing" is when documents need to be signed by multiple signers (ex. such as partners or spouses) but only one of the signers is available at one time. When a transaction is set up by a user on the Notarize for Title Agencies or Notarize for Lenders platforms, there is a feature which allows different email addresses for each signer. When each signer is added to the documents with a different email address, those signers will have the option to complete their portion of the documents independently or together via the below process:
- Each signer receives an email from email@example.com
- Clicking on the button/link in the email will direct you to your transaction at app.notarize.com where you'll see the below screen:
- Click the blue Continue button to see your options for which signers are ready
- Select which of the additional signers on the transaction are physically present with you now
*Note: The signer who clicks on the email in Step 1 will automatically be selected and must be present before moving forward. If you are not that person, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you've selected all signers who are physically present with you and are ready to use the same device to complete your closing documents, click the blue Start signing button
- Review the documents in your closing package and fulfill any signature flags which do not require the presence of a notary
- Complete a quick tech check for your device
- Each signer will be prompted to verify their identity using personal details (first name, last name, last 4 digits of U.S. SSN, and most recent U.S. Address of residence)
- Each signer will be prompted to capture their Photo ID using your device's camera
- Click to join a live video session with a notary to complete your document package!