Understand what a witness is and how to choose one when getting document(s) notarized on the Notarize Platform.
🚨 You, as the signer, are responsible for providing any witnesses for your document and ensuring they meet any state and document-specific requirements.🚨
🎯Primary Audience: Customers (Signers)
What is a witness?
A witness is an additional person who is not a party to the transaction and is present to witness the signing of the specific document. Do not expect the notary to act as a witness. Notaries do not act as witnesses on the Notarize platform, with the exception of Florida Real Estate transactions.
Guidelines for choosing a witness
Notarize does not set witness requirements as they are generally not dictated by notarial law. However, we recommend you consider the following when choosing your witness:
- Are they 18 years of age or older?
- Many documents require witnesses to be 18 years or older.
- Are they interested in or a party to the transaction?
- Witnesses are generally prohibited from being a party to or benefiting from the transaction.
- Are they physically located in the same room as you are at the time of the transaction?
- Notarize’s remote witnessing feature is only available on Notarize’s real estate platform for closings of Florida property where the notary personally knows the witnesses. It is not available on Notarize’s business platform.
- Do they meet your state and/or document-specific requirements?
|🚨 Notarize does not provide any legal advice, including advice about witness requirements.|
Complete your document with one or more witnesses
Follow the link in your email to begin the process and follow the on-screen prompts or read about the Process from Start to Finish if you need more help. When asked to verify your identity, enter your information, not the witness's information.
Up to 2 witnesses can be included in one session with a notary, as long as you have 8 or fewer signers (10 signers maximum).
📝 Note: The notary can guide witnesses through signing their portion of the document during the live video notary meeting.
Still have questions you can't find answers to? Click the chat icon in the corner of your screen to start a chat with us or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org!
CONFIDENTIAL. © 2022. Notarize, Inc.
This document contains confidential information and may not be reproduced or shared without consent of Notarize, Inc.