Information on the generally accepted forms of identification (ID) for online notarizations
🎯Primary Audience: Customers (Signers)
Definition: A signer of a document to be notarized or eSigned on the Notarize platform. A customer of Notarize or a customer of a Company using Notarize.
Need to Know
|🚨 ID requirements vary by state. Your notary will have access to specific requirements for the state in which they are commissioned.🚨|
Blurry IDs are not acceptable. If the ID is not clear, you will be asked to retake the photos.
Please note: A US Social Security Number is also required in order to verify identity.
Acceptable Primary Forms of ID May Include
The photo IDs listed below are frequently accepted as a primary form of ID but requirements vary by state. Some states require the ID to be valid and unexpired.
All IDs must include a photographic image of your face:
- U.S. State-Issued Driver’s License
- U.S. State-Issued Photo ID
- U.S. Passport Book
- Certificate of US citizenship
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Foreign Passport
- Alien Registration Card with Photo (Green Card / Permanent Resident Card)
- Military ID
- Prisoner ID (Must be a photo ID and must contain a signature)
Acceptable Secondary Forms of ID May Include
If you've recently changed your name and it no longer matches the ID you're using for identity verification purposes, you must provide a secondary ID that reflects your new name. Your primary ID can have your former name, as long as your secondary ID has your current name.
All secondary forms of ID must display your name (the signer's name):
- Social Security Card
- U.S. Govt., Government Issued Visa
- Birth Certificate
- Non-US/Canadian Driver License
- Most Recent Signed Tax Returns
- Property Tax Bill
- Voter Registration Card
- Organizational Membership Card
- Bank/Investment/Loan Statements
- Paycheck stub with name
- Most Recent W-2
- Home/car/renter insurance papers
- Recent utility bill.
Still have questions you can't find answers to? Click the chat icon in the corner of your screen to start a chat with us or send us an email at email@example.com!
CONFIDENTIAL.© 2021. Notarize, Inc.