Notarize documents sent by a business by following these instructions, including how to view and sign the document, and how to join the call.
You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org on behalf of the business inviting you to have your signature notarized on the specified document.
If your document requires multiple signers, read also Sign a Document from a Business Requiring Multiple Signers.
- Open the email and click the button at the bottom of the email that reads, View Your Document.
- On the page that appears, set up a password and click Sign Up.
- Depending on the business's settings, you may be asked to verify your identity with additional steps, such as a text message.
- Creating an account will not subscribe you to any email lists; your account is purely for security purposes to protect and access completed documents.
- Click the Get It Notarized
- In the pop-up window, verify that your first and last name in Notarize appear exactly as they do on your ID, add your preferred pronouns if desired, then click Confirm.
- Review and fill out the document using our digital tools. Your document may not need to be edited if the form is pre-populated, however, be sure to confirm the accuracy of the data on the form. If all information on the document is accurate, click Continue.
- If the information is incorrect and you are unable to make edits, please contact the organization that sent the document about corrections.
Tech Check: Allow camera and microphone access. Select both your microphone and speaker from the dropdown menus, then select Confirm Audio Settings. See Troubleshooting Camera, Microphone, and Speaker Issues if you need help.
An internet connection test will automatically occur to ensure you have a strong signal to connect with a notary successfully.
- Provide your name, date of birth, last 4 digits of your social security number, and your U.S. address and click Continue.
- To confirm your identity, answer the 5 security questions drawn from background information unique to you.
- You have 2 minutes to answer 4 out of 5 challenge questions correctly to verify your identity.
- Read Identity Verification Process For Signers for more details on the identity verification process.
- After you successfully answer the questions, follow the on-screen instructions to capture images of the front and back of your identification using your phone or webcam.
- Please ensure the photos of your identification are legible and not blurry.
- 📝 Note: Each document may have specific ID requirements for notarization. If this is the case, please follow the document instructions. Here is a list of acceptable forms of ID for most documents.
- If a second form of identification is required, you will be prompted to capture a secondary form of ID.
- Click Let's Get Started to connect with a notary.
- Wait in the waiting room, and a notary will pick up your call as soon as possible (usually under 2 minutes).
The notary will confirm your identity by examining the ID(s) you uploaded and will ask you a few standard questions to make sure you know what you’re signing and that you are doing so voluntarily. The notary will then fill in the appropriate notary information, witness your signature, and affix the notary seal.
The notary will end the call, and no additional actions are required.
📝 Note: If you are responsible for covering the cost of the notarization, you will be prompted to enter your payment information. If you are not responsible for payment, you will not see this screen.
Business Transactions FAQs
Q: Do I need to fill out the document?
A: Some businesses may pre-populate the document with your information. If the form is not pre-populated, you may fill out the document using our digital tools prior to launching the call with our notary. There may be sections of the document which need to be completed by the notary. In this case, please leave these sections blank.
Q: Will I have to pay the fees?
A: The final cost of your transaction may depend on the subscription tier of the business that directed you to Notarize. Some businesses may also choose to pay for the transaction so you don't have to. If you're not sure, reach out to your contact at the business who sent you the documents to confirm.
Still have questions you can't find answers to? Click the chat icon in the corner of your screen to start a chat with us or send us an email at email@example.com!
© 2022. Notarize, Inc. All Rights Reserved.