Learn how to have your documents notarized when the document(s) require two or more signers on the Notarize platform.
🎯Primary Audience: Signers
There are two options when multiple signers are required on a retail* transaction:
- Co-located: Signers are in the same room and join the same notary meeting together on one device (computer or mobile). A maximum of two signers can participate in a co-located meeting for a retail transaction.
- Split Signing: Signers are in different locations and are either unable or unwilling to join the same notary meeting. Separate notary meetings take place, and fees are paid for each meeting. (Also known as Sequential Signing.)
*A retail transaction is a notary meeting not initiated by a real estate company or other business.
Expand this section to learn more about Business & Real Estate transactions
Transactions initiated by a title agent, lender, or business can have more than two signers in a co-located meeting and have additional options for completing a meeting with multiple signers:
- If you are working with a title agent or lender, read Complete Your Online Real Estate Closing with Multiple Signers in Different Locations.
- If you are working with a business requiring a document notarized with multiple signers, read Sign a Document from a Business Requiring Multiple Signers.
Two signers in the same location
To get started:
- Log in to your Notarize account or select Notarize a Document Now on our homepage.
- Select Choose a File to upload your document.
- Confirm your name.
- Select Add Second Signer.
- Note: You may add up to 2 witnesses if needed.
- The second signer is prompted to enter their name and email address.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to add the appropriate signer or co-signer information until you reach the session with the notary
- Sign up or sign in using the Notarize app on your mobile device
- Select the + icon to add your document -or- press SIGN if the document is already there
- Select Myself and a co-signer > Select Add a co-signer
- Type the co-signers name & email > Select Continue
- Type your details on the Personal Details page > Select PROCEED when finished
- Have your co-signer fill in their details > Select PROCEED when finished
- Follow the on-screen prompts to add the appropriate signer / co-signer information until you reach the session with the notary.
Signers in different locations or 3+ signers
- Each signer must register for a Notarize account and select Notarize a Document Now when ready. Read How Does Notarize Work? An Overview of the Notarize Service.
- Once the first signer has notarized their document they can send the notarized document to the second signer.
- The second signer can then upload the notarized document and proceed through the process for their notarization.
- The end result will be one notarized document, with numerous seals based on the number of signers.
Notarize charges for each notarization plus any additional seal fees associated with each meeting. Therefore, signers located in different locations will each be charged for the notary session.
Still have questions you can't find answers to? Click the chat icon in the corner of your screen to start a chat or email us at email@example.com!
© 2022-2023 Notarize, Inc. All Rights Reserved.