Learn how to prepare a document to require a witness for a business transaction. A witness is an additional person who is not a party to the transaction and is present to witness the signing of the specific document.
Note: You can set up the transaction to require a witness, or the notary can add a witness during a meeting.
🎯Primary Audience: Notarize for Business
How to Prepare Your Document
If you've uploaded a document that needs witness signatures, select the Requires Witness toggle to turn it ON. (Eye Icon)
Photo of Document Upload
How does it work?
- Signers need to provide their own witness(es).
- Notarize does not provide witnesses.
- The signer and the witness(es) must be in the same physical location.
- It is the responsibility of the signer to ensure that the witnesses meet any state or document-specific requirements. (For example, if 2 witnesses are required, the signer is responsible for ensuring there are 2 witnesses.)
- 🚨 Notarize does not provide any legal advice, including witness requirements.
- Witnesses should be ready to show a valid photo ID.
Frequently Asked Question
Who can act as a witness on my document?
Anyone 18 or older and not an immediate relative can typically act as a witness on a document. Keep in mind that the signer must have the witness co-located in the same space with them for the notary session. Notaries are not eligible to also serve as a witness. You can read more on documents that require witnesses.
Feel free to reach out to our Support team if you need help!
Chat: Click the icon in the corner of your screen:
- Monday – Friday: 8 am – 10 pm ET
- Saturday – Sunday: 8 am – 7 pm ET
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: Available depending on your subscription
For more details on notary availability, review Hours of Operation.
CONFIDENTIAL. © 2022-2023 Notarize, Inc.