Welcome to Notarize. Many businesses partner with Notarize to enable their customers to notarize documents electronically, saving you the time and trouble of finding a traditional paper notary. If a business has initiated a transaction for you to have a document notarized, the steps below describe how to complete the notarization via Notarize.
The Notarization Process for Business-Initiated Transactions:
- You will receive an email from Notarize on behalf of the business inviting you to have your signature notarized on the specified document.
- Open the email and click on the green button at the bottom of the email that reads, “Let’s Go.”
- The Notarize website or application will walk you through the notarization process, explaining each action along the way. You may select “Next” as you read each prompt.
- If you are a returning Notarize user, you will be prompted to confirm your identifying information, including your name, date of birth, and address. If you are new to Notarize, you will be prompted to provide this information. You will be prompted to read and agree to Notarize’s Terms of Service, and then you’re ready to proceed with the notarization.
- If you are responsible for covering the cost of the notarization, you will be prompted to enter your payment information. If you are not responsible for payment, you will not see this screen.
- Next, you may be prompted to fill out the document using our digital tools. Your document may not need to be edited if the form is pre-populated, however, you should confirm the accuracy of the data on the form.
- Then you will be prompted to validate your identity (we need to confirm that it’s really you). Select “Continue to ID Verification.”
- In verifying your identity, you will be asked to answer five security questions drawn from background information unique to you. You’ll have two minutes to answer the questions. If you fail to answer at least 4 of the 5 questions correctly, you will have the opportunity to answer the security questions one more time. (Some new questions may be included in the next set of questions provided to you.) If you fail to correctly answer at least four security questions correctly in your second attempt, you will be prevented from any additional attempts for a period of 24 hours, after which you may try again. Select “Get Started.”
- After you successfully answer the questions, you will be prompted to capture a photo of your photo ID using your phone or webcam. *NOTE: Each document may have specific ID requirements for notarization. If this is the case, please follow the document instructions. For a list of acceptable forms of ID for most documents, you may find them here [link to ID Help Doc]. Please ensure your picture is legible and not blurry.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to capture images of your ID. If the form you’ve been asked to sign by this business requires a second ID, you will be prompted to capture a secondary form of ID. If this is not required, you may not be presented with the option or you may elect to skip this step.
- Next, you will be prompted to connect to an agent. Click “Connect to an Agent.”
- The Notary will confirm your identity by examining the ID(s) you uploaded, and will ask you a few standard questions to make sure you know what you’re signing and that you are doing so voluntarily. The Notary will then fill in the appropriate notary information, witness your signature, and affix the notary seal.
- The Notary will end the call, and no additional actions are required.
Business Transactions FAQs:
Q: Do I need to fill out the document?
A: Some businesses may pre-populate the document with your information. If the form is not pre-populated, you may fill out the document using our digital tools prior to launching the call with our notary. There may be sections of the document which need to be completed by the notary. In this case, please leave these sections blank.