Virginia law allows electronic notarization of signatures on all types of documents. Please see the attached Quick Guide for some common examples.
Our notaries are also authorized to certify copies, with the exception of certifying birth, death, or marriage certificates and certifying true copies of official court records. These types of documents must be certified by the courts or by your state or county’s official office of vital records.
Documents notarized on our platform are electronically signed by you and our notary. Laws at the federal and state level provide for electronic signing of documents across virtually all categories of everyday contracts and transactions. But there are exceptions for a few categories of documents, and some states, public agencies and court systems impose specific additional requirements, limitations and conditions for accepting electronically-signed documents. Please check the Quick Guide for some common documents which cannot currently be notarized on our platform.
Many courts now accept electronically-signed documents for filing, but please check first as many of them also have specific rules and requirements.
We notarize all kinds of documents, and you can learn more here (http://notarize.com/faq/). If you have any concern about a document being accepted, please reach out to the receiving institution to ensure it can accept an electronically signed and notarized document.
Quick Reference Guide
We do not notarize signatures on the following documents or transactions at this time:
- Wills, codicils, and trusts
- Documents for use in Iowa
- Motor vehicle title transfers and odometer statements.
- Our notaries cannot perform marriage ceremonies
- Our notaries cannot certify true copies of birth, marriage, death certificates or court records.
We gladly notarize just about any other document including:
- Adoption paperwork
- Beneficiary designation
- Business forms
- Certification of investment powers
- Citizenship verification forms
- Common loan documents
- Discipline status enrollment forms
- Education residency
- Fishing Licenses
- Handgun permit applications
- Hold Harmless Agreements
- Identity Verification
- Identity theft victim's complaint
- Issuance of US Passport to Minor Application
- Lien forms
- Mail Delivery Through Agent forms
- Medical consent forms
- Medical release forms
- Minor consent to travel
- Power of Attorney
- Promissory note
- Residential or Commercial leases
- School Permission Slips
- Tattoo consent for minor
- Temporary guardianship agreements
- Third-party mail delivery
- Unclaimed Property Inquiries
- And many more....!
*If you have any concerns about a document being accepted you may reach out to the receiving institution to ensure it can and will accept an electronically signed and notarized document