In a traditional paper-based notarization, you are required to travel to meet the notary public in person so they may confirm your identity and witness as you sign your document. With a remote notarization via Notarize, you appear before a notary online by means of a live audio-video connection. Once you appear before the notary online, the notary confirms your identity and performs the specified notarial act just as with a traditional, paper-based notarization, except that both you and notary sign using electronic tools.
To get started with a remote notarization, you’ll need a few things:
- Create your Notarize account here. Instructions can be found here.
- The document that needs to be signed and notarized – don’t sign it yet! You’ll need to do so when connected with a notary. You can start with an electronic or paper copy — Notarize for iPhone helps you scan any paper document.
- An iPhone, iPad or computer (Windows or Mac) with a webcam and working audio.
- A good internet connection
- Your photo ID (some documents may require two forms of ID; please check before starting the signing process)
- The last four digits of your SSN – it will be used to validate your identity
- A credit card to pay the fee – you will only be charged after a successful notarization